2002 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
National Historic Preservation Week, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the week of May 12th. The theme was "Preserving the Spirit of Place".
Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program includes awards for Historic Preservation, Historic Landmark and Sears Catalog Home categories.
At the May 13th Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.
The Historic Preservation award was given to Warren Stewart for his sensitive restoration of his 1925 "Spanish eclectic" style home located at 307 South Monterey. It is named the Emms House (PDF) after the original owner. Warren researched and restored the stucco and clay tiles to its original color scheme. Early developers had envisioned Villa Park to be a "town of villas". This was influenced by the popularity of Spanish Revival style.
Six Historic Landmark awards were awarded to the following:
William and Annette Franz for their farmhouse built in 1864 and located at 747 South Oakland. It is named the Scharlau House (PDF) after the family that first settlers who farmed the land and ran a fruit orchard.
Caroline Hightower, for her farmhouse built in circa 1850 and located at 27 East Jackson. It is named the Golterman House (PDF) after the early settlers who first lived there and raised their 17 children.
Ron Leston, owner of Pioneer Garden and Feed Supply, received an award for his Feed Store (PDF) built in 1908 and located at 118 South Villa. In the early days, the store sold chicken feed and milled grain. Since 1965, the Leston family has owned the business at this location.
Anona Center East, a private club (PDF), for their commercial building built in 1926 and located at 125 South Villa. They have made considerable storefront improvements. Originally, it was an A&P Grocery and a Ben Franklin variety store.
Raymond and Tammy Hensley for their commercial building built in 1915 and located at 7 East Park (PDF). Extensive refurbishing has been done to the exterior and interiors. Back in the early days, it had been Meehan's Drug store then became Hill's Pharmacy. Dr. Cortesi had his practice upstairs. It is currently Doc Hensley's Antiques and Furniture Repair.
The Sears & Davis Commercial Building built in 1928 is located at 336 South Ardmore (PDF). It was here that the Village had their offices for a short period while the Village Hall was built. Sears had been the Village President. The building has very distinctive terra cotta ornamentation on the front façade.
Lastly, the Sears Catalog Home award was given to Robert and Betty Bratschun for their Martha Washington (PDF) model Sears mail-order house, located at 524 South Villa Avenue and built in 1925.
The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.