2010 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village of Villa Park and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Old Is The New Green." This year, Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program awards three recipients in the Historic Preservation category.
At the April 26, 2010 Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.
Stephen and Shayne Prosser for their large Prairie style two story stucco house situated on a large lot at 411 South Summit Avenue. It was built in 1915 and is named the Majewski House (PDF) after its builder and first original owner. It was later sold to William Shier. From 1930 to 1941 it was owned by Abraham and Rose Sheinman. Then in 1941, Anthony and Valeria Martisius owned it. In 1991, the Prossers' purchased the home and have been lovingly restoring the interior and exterior and have done extensive landscaping and building improvements. This house was featured on the 2009 House Walk.
Robert and Nancy Richards for their spacious brick Bungalow located at 421 South Euclid Avenue. It features many windows, lovely woodwork and has been improved for modern day living on the interior. It is named the Barrett House (PDF) after its original owner and was built in 1926. Arthur Barrett and his wife Mabel lived here until 1944. He was a clerk at Gas Co. Then George and Edna Weick purchased the house and lived there until 1964. It was then purchased by Kenneth and Nancy Jacobs who owned it for the next 20 years. In 1983, the Richards purchased the house. This house was also featured on the 2009 House Walk.
Adam and Emily Klintworth for their stucco Bungalow located at 128 South Ardmore Avenue. It features many windows, lovely woodwork and has been extensively restored back to its original interior condition. The exterior is original and typical of the type of homes that were affordable during that time period. It is named the Dennison House (PDF) after its original owner and was built in 1926. The land was purchased in 1916 when Villa Park was named Ardmore. It took 10 years to save money to build the house. Clifford and Bessie lived here until 1954 when William and Evelyn Markowski purchased it. In 1965, James and Patricia McCloskey bought the house. Then in 1973, Mary Laskero and Josephine Termine purchased it and lived there until 2009.
The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.