Frequently Asked Questions

The following are some questions frequently received by the Public Works Department with regards to various issues. If you have a question that is not addressed here, or would like further clarification, please feel free to contact the Public Works Department for further assistance.


Q. What is the Public Works Department's telephone number?

A. 630-834-8505

Q. What is the Public Works Department's fax number?

A. 630-834-8509

Q. What should I do in case of a Public Works emergency?

A. The Public Works Department office hours are 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. During these hours you should call 630-834-8505. If an emergency occurs after business hours you should call the Police non-emergency phone number at 630-834-7447 and they will contact Public Works.

Q. My garbage/yard waste wasn't picked up. What do I do now?

A. The Village of Villa Park has contracted Roy Strom to provide refuse, yard waste and recycling services. Please contact Roy Strom at 708-344-5000.

Q. How often does my street get plowed?

A. Please see the "Snow and Ice Control (PDF)" document for in depth information on how the Public Works Department performs snow plowing and ice removal.

Drinking Water

Q. What causes "musty" taste and odor in the drinking water?

A. The earthy, musty taste and odor of the drinking water is the result of compounds produced by blue-green algae and other vegetation found in Lake Michigan. Tastes and odors may be more noticeable when the lake water gets warmer. Refrigerating the water will minimize the taste and odors. The present of taste and odors does not affect the safety of the drinking water.

Q. What if my water has a strong chlorine smell?

A. During the summer the chlorine smell may appear stronger than what is experienced at other times of the year because compounds are released from warm water more easily.

Q. Why is the water sometimes cloudy?

A. Increased levels of dissolved oxygen in colder water causes this to happen. During the winter months, water may appear "cloudy" when drawn from the tap. The water will clear, from the bottom up as it warms.

Q. Why am I experiencing unusually low water pressure?

A. Low water pressure is usually due to plumbing fixtures problems in the home. A few simple checkpoints may solve the problem. Make sure all water valves are fully open and operational. Inspect all faucet aerators, and physically bypass your water softener if you have discontinued using it. Call Public Works at 630-834-8505 if the problem is not corrected.


Q. Who do I notify if a street light is out?

A. Street Lighting is provided by both the Village and ComEd. The Village is responsible for the maintenance of street lights on concrete and metal poles. ComEd is responsible for the maintenance of street lights on wooden poles.

If you would like to report a Village street light out by phone, the Public Works Department can be reached at 630-834-8505 and ComEd can be reached at 800-EDISON1 (800-334-7661). 


Q. Who is responsible for maintenance of the parkway?

A. By Village Code, the adjacent property owner is responsible for routine maintenance (mowing, watering, etc.) of the parkway.

Q. Who maintains the parkway trees?

A. The Village's Forestry Division, a division of the Public Works Department, maintains the parkway trees.


Q. Who do I call if my sewer is backing up?

A. Call the Public Works Department at 630-834-8505. If you have already contacted a plumber, call Public Works when the plumber arrives.

Q. Public Works dug up my parkway for a water/sewer repair, who's responsible to fix it?

A. The Public Works Department restores sites where water/sewer repairs are done by the Village. Contractors and utility companies are generally responsible for restoration of their own excavations.


Q. Who do I contact for questions about my water bill?

A. Please contact the Village's Finance Department. They can be reached at 630-834-8500.

Q. Are there any watering restrictions?

A. The Village of Villa Park follows an even/odd watering restriction. Even numbered addresses can water on even numbered days, and vice versa for odd. For example, if you live at 29 N Michigan Avenue, you would be allowed to water on the 1st, the 3rd, etc. Water restrictions are seasonal (See Section 25-367 of the Village of Villa Park Municipal Code).

Q. What are some ways that I can conserve water?

A. Please check out these water saving tips in Water Conservation Pledge (PDF), Indoor Water Use (PDF), Outdoor Water Use (PDF), and Lawn Care Water Use (PDF) documents.