|Effective 7-1-2012, the monthly garbage collection rate will be $17.85.
Effective 7-1-2012, yard waste stickers will be $2.30.
|dual collection offers "green" advantage
The Roy Strom Company's dual collection system allows it to collect refuse and recycling from Village residences in one pass with one truck. The truck body is divided into two completely separate collection chambers. The materials (refuse and recyclables) are not commingled. Refuse is placed on one side of the collection hopper - recyclables on the other. The refuse and recyclables are then pulled into separate storage/transport chambers.
One truck, one pass offers a "Green" service advantage to the Village of Villa Park.
- The number of large truck passes needed to collect refuse / recyclables on Village streets is reduced by 50%
- Fewer trucks and new emission standard chassis reduce GHG emissions released in Village residential environments
- Fewer large trucks operate on Village streets. This will:
- Reduce damage to Village streets and utilities
- Enhance traffic safety
- Reduce noise pollution in residential neighborhoods
Finally, the service efficiency (fewer trucks) reduces the impact skyrocketing fuel costs will have on monthly service rates. The Roy Strom Company has effectively utilized the system for over a decade.
|household refuse program
This convenient curbside service program allows residents to set out an unlimited amount of household refuse, recyclables, and yard waste as described below one time per week on their regularly schedules collection day except on New Years Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day. Should a holiday fall on a collection day, collection will be moved forward for all residents. For example, if the holiday is on Tuesday, collection will be on Wednesday; Wednesday's collection will be on Thursday, and so forth.
Household refuse is collected from all single, duplex, and triplex residential properties within the Village. Refuse must be placed at the curb by 6 AM in 35 gallon (max) rigid containers with handles or 32 gallon (max) plastic garbage bags, total weight of each container / plastic bag set out is not to exceed 50 lbs.
Carpeting. Carpeting must be set out rolled. Each roll must not exceed 4 feet in length, nor be more than 2 feet in diameter, be taped or tied, and weigh no more than 45 lbs. each.
Large Items. One (1) large regular household item such as a bicycle, chair, grill, mattress, table, etc., may be set out each week as part of the service. Anything additional requires Roy Strom be called to schedule a special pick up (furniture, some appliances - see "white goods.").
Large Household Appliances. Examples of a large household item include dishwasher, clothes dryer, furnace, hot water tank, stove, and washing machine. All large household appliances require Roy Strom be called to schedule a special pick up. To arrange for a "special pick up" call: (630) 469-5005.. There is a fee of $30 per appliance payable before pickup.
"White Goods" are appliances which contain CFC or HCFC refrigerant gas, PCB capacitors, mercury switches, or other hazardous components (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, etc., are examples). Do not place these items at the curb until you call Roy Strom to schedule a "special pick up". To arrange for the pick up of a "white good" item call: (630) 469-5005. There is a fee per item of $30 payable before pickup.
Vehicle Parts. Large vehicle parts will not be collected as household trash (for example: wheels, engine blocks, exhaust systems, fenders, bumpers, doors, etc.).
Tires. Due to IEPA regulations, tires cannot be disposed of in Illinois landfills. There is a $5.15 disposal fee per tire payable prior to pickup. To arrange for the pick up of a tire(s) call: (630) 469-5005.
Household "do-it-yourself" Remodeling Debris. Residents are allowed to set out up to 3 cans or bundles of debris from "do-it-yourself" projects. Bundles are not to exceed 4 feet in length, greater than 2 feet in diameter, nor weigh more than 50 lbs. Cans / plastic construction refuse bags are to be 35 gallon (max) in size, weight no more than 50 lbs. each.
Household waste is limited to what is generated at the residence being served. Household waste does not include commercial waste or business generated waste.
Recyclables are placed in program recycling bins, and are collected curbside each week along with refuse. Additional or replacement bins may be purchased at the Public Works building. 18 gallon recycling containers are $15. The larger 32 gallon recycling containers are also available for $25.00. Call the Public Works Department at (630) 834-8505 for more information.
The following commingled recyclables are accepted:
- Rinsed aluminum containers (beverage /food)
- Rinsed glass containers (beverage / food - green / clear / brown)
- Rinsed Bi-Metal containers (soup, juice, etc.) / empty paint - aerosol containers
- Newsprint (anything paper that comes with / in a newspaper)
- Chipboard / Corrugated boxes (cereal, food, tissue, gift and shoe boxes, etc.). Please breakdown / cut large boxes into flat 2' by 2' pieces
- Mixed Paper (junk mail, envelopes, phone books, office / notebook, computer paper, white or colored paper that does not have metal fasteners attached to it, magazine and catalogs, paper grocery bags)
- Plastics: 1 through 7 (plastic milk / water / juice jugs, two liter beverage bottles, laundry detergent, liquor, and other food containers, peanut butter jars, margarine tubs and pharmaceutical containers, etc.). Any plastic container with the number stamped within the chasing arrows on the bottom of the container!
|landscape waste program
Yard Waste (YW) collection is provided on a pay as throw basis. YW consists of grass, shrubbery clippings, leaves, and plant material. YW is to be set out in 30 gallon Kraft paper bags designed for the collection of YW or in 35 gallon (max) refuse cans clearly marked YW Only. A prepaid Yellow Yard Waste Tag must be affixed to each bag or can set out. YW bags or cans are not to exceed 50 lbs when full. Do not use plastic bags for yard waste (plastic cannot be tub grund, composted, or tilled into soil). YW is limited to what is generated at the residence being serviced. YW must be out by 6 AM along with refuse during the YW collection season. YW is collected from the first full week in April through November 30 each year.
Brush (tree branches not exceeding 4" in diameter, bush trimmings, plant stocks) must be tied into bundles using twine, not to exceed four (4) feet in length, eighteen (18) inches in diameter, and not weigh more than 50 lbs.
Leaves. Throughout the spring, summer and early fall, leaves are disposed of in YW bags or cans using a prepaid Yellow Yard Waste Tag for each bag / can set out. Residents are also allowed to dispose of an unlimited number of Kraft Paper YW bags filled with leaves without affixing prepaid Yellow YW Tags on each bag during a seven week period beginning in late October each year.
Rocks, sod, bales of hay and landscape timbers are not landscape waste and should not be placed in yard waste cans or bags. These items require a special pick up service.
NOTICE: Collection times change. Make sure refuse, recycling, leaves, and yard waste are set out at the curb by no later than 6 AM on Collection Day. Village ordinance allows items to be set out after 7 PM the evening before Collection Day.
|yard waste tags
Roy Strom YW tags are available for purchase at the following cooperating merchant locations June 30, 2010. These merchants are selling the tags as a community service to Villa Park residents. Merchants receive no revenue from the sale of the tags, therefore, cash purchases are appreciated. Beginning July 1, Roy Strom Yellow YW Tags must be used for YW to be collected.
- Village Hall – 20 Ardmore Avenue
- Jewel Food Store, 33 St. Charles Road
- Villa Park Ace Hardware, 46 Villa Avenue
- 7- ELEVEN, 610 North Addison
- 7- ELEVEN, 54 South Villa
- Johnson's Lighthouse Marathon, 1 W. St. Charles
- Schroeder Ace Hardware, 837 Westmore/Meyers (Lombard)
- Pioneer Garden & Feed Supply, 118 S. Villa Avenue
By law certain items are not to be disposed of in a permitted pollution control facility or be handled by conventional waste collection equipment. The following items are not collected in the Village program.
- Automobile wheels and large parts
- Automobile and similar batteries
- Toxic waste
- Radioactive waste
- Medical waste / needles unless properly packaged for safe disposal
- Volatile and explosive waste
- Acids and poisons
- Gasoline, motor oil, other flammable liquids
- Unhardened paint and other similar liquids
- Hazardous Waste (the transport and disposal of which is regulated by either the US or Illinois EPA)
- All other materials the contractor is legally prohibited from accepting for collection
For additional information on how hazardous or special wastes can be properly and safely handled please visit DuPage County's website www.dupageco.org/recycling/ for updated information on collection events, disposal, and recycling.
QUESTIONS about the service, collection procedures, what will or will not be collected under the program? Call: (630) 469-5005