Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
As we approach the end of July and August, it's important to keep safety on your mind when you are out enjoying the summer weather. In Villa Park, we have numerous outdoor parks and spaces to enjoy time with your family and friends outside. Following these tips, courtesy of the American Red Cross, will help keep your summer cool:
1. Never leave children or pets inside of a vehicle in extreme heat. Doing so can be deadly, as temperatures can quickly reach upwards of 120 degrees.
2. Keep yourself hydrated!
3. Remember your family and friends; check on those who do not have access to air conditioning during extreme heat.
4. For those who don't have access to air conditioning, consider going to places like schools, libraries, shopping centers or restaurants during the hottest part of the day.
5. What you wear matters! Keep in mind that avoiding dark colors and wearing loose-fitting, lightweight clothing will help you stay cool.
6. Take frequent breaks if working outdoors.
7. Avoid strenuous exercise outside during the hottest part of the day.
8. Check on animals frequently and make sure they have plenty of water.
Tips taken from the American Red Cross' article titled "Ten Tips for Staying Safe in the Summer Heat."