2001 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
National Preservation Week 2001, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the week of May 14, 2001. The 2001 theme was "Restore, Renew, Rediscover Your Historic Neighborhood Schools!" Starting in 2001, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission expanded their annual Historic Plaque Program to include awards for Historic Preservation, Historic Landmark and Sears Catalog Home categories.
At the Village Board meeting, (May 14, 2001), Village President Rae Rupp Srch and the Preservation Commission presented plaques to the 2001 winners.
Historic Landmark awards were presented to: The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.
Villa Park School District 45 for the Ardmore School (PDF). The Ardmore School was built in 1911 and is located at 225 South Harvard Avenue. It started out as a four-room school with 59 students enrolled and was the first school in Villa Park.
Saint Alexander's Parish for Saint Alexander School (PDF). Saint Alexander School was built in 1925 and is located at 136 South Cornell Avenue. Before this school opened, its 56 registered students were taught in a one-room schoolhouse located in the temporary church building.
The first recipient to receive the Sears Catalog Home plaque was Mrs. Alma Hebenstreit. Her mail order house is located at 531 South Euclid Avenue and was authenticated to be the Rodessa model built in 1923.
Village of Villa Park for the restoration of the Chicago Great Western Railroad Depot (PDF). It was built in 1926 and is located at Cortesi Park.
The Ardmore and St. Alexander schools are conveniently located in the heart of town and have provided outstanding service to the community for a combined total of 165 years. Over the years, both schools have had building expansions to accommodate increased enrollments.