2004 Historic Preservation Award Recipients


National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the week of May 3rd. This year's theme was "New Frontiers in Preservation". Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program includes awards for Historic Preservation, Historic Landmark and Sears Catalog Home categories.

At the April 26th Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

A Historic Preservation award was given to Steve and Monika Hall for their sensitive preservation of their 1920 prairie-style home located at 346 E. Highland Avenue. It is named the Heisen House after the original owner. Mr. Heisen was an early developer of Villa Park. The new owners of the home, Chris and Jill Quinn, are delighted to have this recognition.

A Historic Preservation award was given to Art and Mary Ann Simms for their sensitive preservation of their 1928 arts and crafts style house located at 130 S. Yale Avenue. It is name the Boettcher House after the first owner.

This year, Historic Landmark awards were given to two very important areas in Villa Park:

The Ardmore Historic Landmark District, established in 1910, was awarded a Historic Landmark plaque to recognize its significance to the Village of Villa Park. These buildings represent such an important part of Villa Park's heritage and history and its future. This district is located in the center or heart of the community. It consists of a variety of diverse buildings with distinctive architecture that now services the community and surrounding area in many ways. Included in this district are many commercial buildings, churches, school, Gazebo, and the Ardmore Avenue Station.

The Villa Historic Landmark District, established in 1908, was awarded a Historic Landmark plaque to recognize its significance to the Village of Villa Park. These buildings represent such an important part of Villa Park's heritage and history and its future. It consists of a variety of diverse buildings with distinctive architecture that now services the community and surrounding area in many ways. Included in this district are the former Ovaltine factory buildings and chimney, Villa Avenue Station, Great Western Depot, Cortesi Park, Villa Park Bank, Community Recreation Center, and many commercial buildings.

Lastly, the Sears Catalog Home award was given to Michael and Deanna Orlowski for their wonderfully restored and preserved Haven model Sears's mail-order house, located at 138 S. Michigan Avenue.

2004 Historic Preservation Award Recipients