2006 Historic Preservation Award Recipients

Ornate Metal Hinge

National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Sustain America - Vision, Economics, and Preservation".

Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program includes awards for Historic Preservation, Historic Landmark and Sears Catalog Home categories.

At the April 24, 2006 Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the three winners of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.

George and Marianne Kolak for their historic 1903 Prairie-style farmhouse located at 240 South Myrtle Avenue. The Montgomery House (PDF) was one of the first homes built by early developer Charles Heisen in the Villa subdivision. The first owner was the Montgomery family. Silent child movie star "Baby Peggy" was born in 1918 in her grandfather's house and started to work at age 19 months after her father, Jack Montgomery, a famous cowboy stuntman, moved his family to Hollywood. After appearing in over 150 two-reels, she retired at the age of 10 and later became a successful author.

Donald and Chris Shore for their historic 1909 vernacular farmhouse located at 619 East Madison Street. The Wyckoff House (PDF) is located on land that was originally part of the Asa Knapp farmstead established in 1842. In 1908, developer Frank E. Ballard purchased the property and created the "Park Farms" subdivision. The first owner was George G. Wyckoff. Today, the Sugar Creek Golf Course resides on much of the former Knapp farm.

Lastly, a Sears Catalog Home awards was given to Scott Iselin for his unique brick Crescent (PDF) model Sear's mail-order house, located at 242 Astor Court and built in 1925. The original owner, Vic Hansen, was a part-time bookkeeper for Villa Park Fuel Company and was head auditor for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. In 1949, Vic Hansen and Ray Rugaard purchased the business equally. In the 1960s, Rugaard bought out Hansen and it then became the Villa Park Material Company, Inc.

The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.

2006 Historic Preservation Award Recipients