2008 Historic Preservation Award Recipients
National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated within the Village and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "This Place Matters".
Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program includes awards for Historic Preservation and Historic Landmark categories.
At the April 28, 2008 Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the four recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.
John and Kathy Van for their large historic 1920 house located at 326 South Myrtle Avenue. Its architectural style is a transition between Queen Anne and Tudor with custom design elements present not typical of homes in Villa Park. It was featured in the promotional "1920 Glimpse of Villa Park" booklet to attract wealthy families to Villa Park. This prestigious house features an unusual lunette window located in the front peak. It is named the Baker House (PDF) after its original owner who was the President of the Village of Villa Park from 1919 to 1923.
Frances Loerzel for her 1916 Bungalow style house located at 307 Astor Court. This modest frame house features a nice front porch, entry stairs and is located in a lovely historic neighborhood. This type of house was typical of the average family who settled in Villa Park during this time period. It is named the Briggs House (PDF) after its original owner.
Michael and Alesia Bailey for their unique 1928 English Tudor style house located at 419 South Princeton Avenue. This large home features a tile roof, stone and brick construction and has a very large lot. It is named the Roll House (PDF) after its original owner. Earl Roll had served on the District 45 School Board for 12 years and was the secretary of the Villa Park Police and Fire Commission.
Eugene and Elizabeth Beausoleil for their circa 1908 Early Colonial Revival (PDF) style house located at 502 S. Princeton Avenue. This house resides on the former Diedrick Meyer farmstead. In 1908, Henry Austin purchased this property. Then in 1920, it was sold it to Otto and Bertha Wertzler, a possible descendent of the Meyer family. In 1925, George M. Smith and his wife Margaret bought the property. Later in 1927 it was sold to his son George C. and wife Florence who lived here for 15 years. The Smith family founded G.M. Smith & Son, a successful local real estate company that was established in 1920 and is still in business today. In early 1942, the Ashford family owned the property for four months and then it was sold to John and Charlotte Morris. It was in 1975 that the current owners, Eugene and Elizabeth Beausoleil, purchased the property and began to substantially improve it along with raising their children Mark, Matt, John, Luke and Michelle.
The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.