National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated within the Village of Villa Park and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "Creating the future in harmony with our pasts." This year, Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program awards three recipients in the Historic Preservation category.
Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program includes awards for Historic Preservation, Historic Landmark and Sears Catalog Home categories.
At the April 27, 2009 Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the four recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.
Robert and Thelma Pierson for their large vine-covered 2 ½ story English Tudor farmhouse located at 237 S. Villa Avenue. It was built in 1911 and is named the Wm. E.F. SEAR House after the original owner. In 1954, the Piersons' bought this house that had been owned by family members since 1942. On the large side yard there is a lovely hosta garden containing many species cultivated by the current owner.
Arnold and Cynthia Olsen for their prairie style Bungalow located at 249 S. Villa Avenue and built by Charles Heisen, an early developer of Villa Park. It features many leaded and stained glass windows and lovely woodwork. It is named the Hamilton House after its original owner and was built in 1911. For over twenty years it was occupied by John C. Sterett, another significant developer of early Villa Park.
Both houses are located in the original Villa Park subdivision, established in 1908. Their presence on Villa Avenue is significant as they were among the first houses built on this street.
The present owners and caretakers are commended for their contributions to the community and for the preservation and maintenance of these important structures that links the past with the future of Villa Park. These buildings are significant to the history and development of the Village of Villa Park and contribute to its character and heritage.