National Preservation Month, sponsored by the National Trust of Historic Places, was celebrated by Proclamation within the Village of Villa Park and across America during the month of May. This year's theme is "See! Save! Celebrate!" Villa Park's Annual Historic Plaque Award Program includes awards for Historic Preservation, Historic Landmark and Sears Catalog Home categories.
At the April 22, 2013 Village Board meeting, the Villa Park Historic Preservation Commission announced the recipients of this year's annual Historic Plaque awards.
Steven and Kathryn Greenbauer received a Historic Preservation plaque for their decorative concrete block Bungalow style house built in circa 1911. A large front porch is an attractive feature. Situated in the Ardmore subdivision of 1910, it is located at 36 East Highland Avenue. It is named the ISEL HOUSE (PDF) for its first owner. The original lot was an acre of land. When their home was built, there were few homes in that area. Ben Fenske and Clare Parkinson received a Historic Landmark plaque for their large two-story American Foursquare style house that was built in circa 1919. Situated in the Ardmore subdivision, it is located at 332 South Cornell Avenue. It is named the GRAMMER HOUSE (PDF) for its first owner. Jesse Grammer owned Grammer's Confectionery Store at Ardmore Avenue and Park Boulevard which later became Al's Smoke Shop. His wife, Nettie, typed water bills for the DuPage Water Works Company, a supplier of water to the early families of Villa Park. The company water tower was located on a neighboring lot.
Russell and Donna Pillar received a Sears Catalog Home plaque for their attractive CRESCENT (PDF) model home located at 106 East Adams Street. It is part of the 1926 Robertson's Madison Street Ardmore subdivision. Built in circa 1928, it sits prominently on its landscaped lot. An attractive rear addition was carefully planned to reflect the original architecture, keeping it in the proper scale with attention to element details.